From: "Mark R. Leaman" <bushchoked@yahoo.com>
To: <TheWho@igtc.com>
Sent: Monday, November 04, 2002 7:49 PM
Subject: Re: Who collection; Pisces Aquarius Potter & John

> > No, you're thinking of something else, Mark.
>
> Scott:
>
> Yes, I've been thinking about it...keep in mind this is an album I saw in
the mid-70's and not since...and I believe it was The Who Story, not
Collection. Or maybe The Story Of The Who. Something like that. It was a
double LP set of greatest hits, on Polydor, and apparently didn't have
access to the Talmy material. I have no idea when it was release, except
that like I said it had LAL material on it.

> who was with me until i mentioned harry potter? i don`t mean any either
bad
> or good attitude to this kiddy magician hit.
>
> Helen:
>
> Oh, was that you? Really, I was just commenting on the use of Tolkien (a
genius on the level of Pete Townshend) and Harry Potter (Rowling is an OK
writer, already been sued for clear plagiarism, and there are many books of
the same sort of storyline predating Potter) in the same sentence. It's
like...it's like comparing Boston to The Who. Oh, YEAH, Boston was more
popular...

> (not just of John) I believe that someone who does the amount of unhealthy
> things John did doesn't think his life is worth preserving...unless, as I
> said below, unhealthy activities are part of their definition of what
makes
> life worth living.
>
> Alan:
>
> I think the first part's a read that's perhaps more accurate as a
statistic rather than an individual case. I know lots of people who do
unhealthy things, smoking cigarettes would be a GREAT example, who love
life. It may be as you say that life isn't worth living to the individual
without them, but that's where intelligence kicks in...and as you also say
it doesn't take a genius to figure it out.

> and productive lives, while John refused to take care of his body,
> essentially killing himself despite incredible achievements and nearly
> universal respect and love?
>
> And on the eve of doing what he professed to love most: playing live. Hard
to get a profile of "the quiet one" since there's a general lack of material
to work with. But to quote Spock, "It does not compute!"

> > If you grant that he was at least as smart as the dumber of you and me,
>
> I won't grant that. Both of us have avoided this sort of thing (or at
least I have and have no reason to think you haven't). And, too, Entwistle
(like Daltrey) has never impressed me intellectually, just as a performer.
Pete was the genius, and Moon perhaps also very intelligent albeit in a less
controlled manner.