Re: The game without the Rock; Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Magic Bus

Certainly the game without the Rock is not the same.

Joe:

For me, a band like The Who (which is to say, one that isn't a group of picked "professional" musicians) is defined by their limitations. For instance, they never were too good at Pop because Daltrey's voice isn't smooth and Townshend is too aggressive, Entwistle wouldn't play the game and Moon was playing his own game. Townshend's weakness on lead guitar assured they wouldn't sound like the other bands around them...Kinks, Yardbirds, Animals, even The Stones. So when Pete couldn't play lead, he used feedback. Entwistle filled in, instead of playing at the changes. Moon was some sort of incredibly wild but appropriate thrashing going on in the back, and Daltrey growled, screamed, was one of the most in-your-face singers out there. To have The Who, you need these limitations, every one. And Pino was so clean and professional...anyone know if he's a trained musician? It's bound to be different and un-Who-like.

Dr. Jeckyl and Mr. Hyde was released on the (what I am almost positive, is a
deleted) US cd Magic Bus, and is also on a Rarities album in the UK, not
sure which volume (1 or 2)

Greg:

Magic Bus is available from CDNow, with the release date of September 10th, 2002. I wonder if it was released in conjunction with the stereo A Quick One. There's no listing of the tracks, so I don't know if it's been remastered or has bonus tracks. Rarities was released on CD with both LPs on it, and for the record the version of Dr. Jekyll on that one is a bit longer than the one on the original Magic Bus (at least; haven't heard the new one). Also, the MB version was simulated stereo while Rarities had the true mono version. There is no listing for Rarities, so if it's still available they don't have it. Sometimes titles like these are available in Canada and Europe when they aren't in the US. Any of our non-US members know if these CDs are still out there? Rarities also has a live version of Baby Don't You Do It, originally the B side of the Join Together single (and not on anything else).

If you love music, check us out on the
                 web: www.secondgenerationscds.com

                             Cheers              ML
HotJobs - Search new jobs daily now