roger on woodstock

This also comes from the Maxim interview:

Q:  Do you stand by your assessment that Woodstock was the worst gig the Who
ever played?

A:  It felt that way at the time.  We were all on acid and very, very tired
because we were due to play at 10 o'clock and didn't come on until half past
five in the morning.  So, by the time we got onstage we were a little bit
ga-ga.  It wasn't a comfortable gig, I don't think I sang particularly well,
but then again, by the time we got on, everything was wrecked.

**OK, I have never quite understood this.  I can see why they hated playing
Woodstock because of the utter disorder surrounding when they got on stage
and their pay, etc., but how can he say that the performance wasn't
incredible?  Unbelieveable Tommy stuff.  Keith's drumming in SMFM/LTY is flat
out mind-boggling.  For that matter, I thought Roger sounded great on it, as
well.  And Pete's work during this song is jaw-dropping (enough hyphenated
adjectives for ya?).  The Underture and AJ/Sparks may not have been clean,
but who wants to see clean Who, anyway?  I love hearing all the feedback and
pete's grinding on the guitar.  It's passion at it's best.  Maybe Pete
chanelled his anger into the performance.  Summertime blues rocked, also.
First time I saw the Woodstock movie I was mesmorized by it.  Then the finale
with Pete's weird guitar sounds and movements and the subsequent banging it
on the stage then throwing it into the audience was cool as hell.  I haven't
heard the rest of the set, but what I have heard is awesome, IMHO.

Kevin Mc