No Subject

Pete Townshend Talks Who Tour & Album, Novel, & More
Scoop
May 10, 2002, 9:25 am PT

In addition to readying himself for the Who's upcoming
summer tour, the guitarist has several projects in the
works, including a new novel, a new two-CD compilation
of demos and rarities from his popular Scoop series,
and -- with any luck -- a new Who studio album.

"We [the Who] are going into [the studio] to actually
make demos," says Townshend, communicating via email.
"When those demos are made, we will make a record. I'm
not optimistic, but I'm open-minded, positive and
determined not to get in the way! I am anxious in fact
to help Roger [Daltrey] get some songs done."

Fueling the chances that the sessions will be fruitful
is the fact that Townshend has been on a creative
binge of late. Specifically, the process of writing
the first draft of his novel, titled The Boy Who Heard
Music, inspired him on occasion to compose new songs.

"I think recently I've noticed that what happens when
I write prose or poetry is that it starts the juices
flowing, but it also shines a light on what is going
on inside me," he says. "Sometimes, that light needs a
better focus. A song is often the best way to tighten
up an idea."

With regard to the upcoming Who tour, Townshend says
the band will include at least two brand new songs, as
well as vintage material not often performed in recent
years. Moreover, even as the Who enters its fifth
decade, Townshend still relishes the prospect of
performing.

"We are going to try to play songs that have avoided
us lately," he says, "like 'Love Reign O'er Me,'
'Listening to You I Get the Music,' 'Eminence Front,'
and 'I Can See for Miles,' by using one more voice and
guitar player. I'm looking forward to it. It's in
three easy legs, nice places to play, nice bases to
fly in and out of, excellent salary! I feel very
lucky. We all do, to be able to sell tickets without
having had a new album for eighteen years."

For more on Townshend and the Who, check out The CDNOW
Interview in June.

-- Russell Hall
LAUNCH - Your Yahoo! Music Experience
http://launch.yahoo.com