Re: The Who Mailing List Digest V9 #132

I don't think pete likes the big venues anyway because of the loudness
involved.They were plenty loud in Philly in 2000 that's for sure!  Bill

----- Original Message -----
From: L. Bird
Sent: Monday, May 06, 2002 11:35 PM
To: thewho@igtc.com

> > We also have Pete Townshend.  Match that.
>
>I don't think Pete without The Who could sell out large Venues like
>McCartney is doing right now on his tour.

But then, Pete doesn't engage in the same aggressive deal-making and
promotion that McCartney does--we got to see Macca in action at the CFNYC.
I know the music business is pretty cut-throat, but still Pete/The Who have
made it moreso on artistic merit than many other acts--including Macca.
Remember that NSync and Britney Spears sell out large venues, too.

Pete/The Who's assumption that the music should sell itself has provided the
integrity that leads fan to gripe about just a little bit of promotion.
They don't like to hear that Who tours are sponsored by beer companies, or
that Pete needs to sell music to ads to get it played on TV.  The music is
supposed to attract fans purely by its virtue.

Pete/The Who end up walking a thin line between undermining the music with
promotion that's too obvious and commercial, and losing attendance at
concerts with too little promotion.  Still, their recent strategies have
been brilliant.  They achieved notice very naturally.

keets