Re: Steve Perry

Jeff House wrote:

> Coach Mc said "I have noticed that as people have been listing greatest lead
> singers of all time, absolutely no one has put Plant in their top 10.  Just
> curious as to why he has been so conspicuously omitted?  Is there some sort
> of animosity to Zepp from Who fans that someone as new to the Who doesn't
> understand?"

I don't think of Plant, whom I like very very much, as a 'singer',
but as a rock 'n' roll front man with a mic and a set of pipes.

Personally, I can separate a rock 'n' roll screamer/wailer from
what I consider to be a true 'singer.'

My list has already been posted.

> Yeah.
> And while we're discussing omission and animosity, why hasn't anyone picked
> up on Steve Perry.  The man has amazing range and power.  His performance on
> the "Escape" album puts everything Plant did to shame.  How did he reach
> those notes?

Again, personally, I do not consider power and range, er, ahem,
range and power, to be an absolute necessity in the measure of
what is, or is not, a good singer.

Many great vocalists have limited range, especially as they age
and mature, which, incidentally & frequently increases the depth
and character of their voices, thereby enhancing the quality of
their singing, in my unique and unpopular opinion.

Many of my fav 'singers' have lost some of their range yet, sound
better than ever.

High notes do not a great singer, (or guitarist), make. It's all in the
soul, sensitivity, and depth of their voices and performances.

Voices are like guitars, no one voice, or guitar, is right for
every song.

AnEnglishBoy~