the simple truth

In a message dated 03/26/2002 10:27:18 AM Central Standard Time,
TheWho-Digest-Owner@igtc.com writes:

> Mc:
>
> You're just listening to the wrong politicians, dude. Clinton speeches
> inspired...Bush's make me cringe. There's not a thought in his head. The
> only
> good quotes you get from him are the ones written by someone else, and even
> then he starts to improvise...

I hope I'm not starting another list furor, but here goes.  The simple truth
is that none of us actually knows George W. Bush, nor what he has or has not
in his head, nor how intelligent or stupid he is.  We also don't know how
much input he has in his speeches.  Clinton did often edit and change parts
of his speeches, and I believe had a hand in writing many of them, but it is
unfair to criticize a president for not writing his own speeches considering
all he has to do and how the nature of the office has evolved over two
centuries into a megalith much larger than the men who have held it.  I must
also add that though Clinton was a very polished orator, I was NEVER inspired
or touched or moved by any speech he made.  Clearly this was impacted by my
ideological disagreements with him and my belief that his administration was
one of the most corrupt in U.S. history.  Just an opinion.  I would also say
this:  i don't think any of us would want people who don't know us expounding
on our intelligence.

kevin mc