The Who machine keeps turning

Listers,

The Ox's passing has made us all realise just how precious this
extraordinary noise machine called the Who is. Hard to believe that none of
us - fans, Pete and Rog - will ever get to see and hear the man in the
horrible suit bring the house down again - in this life at least. What that
means for all of us is going to take a long time to sink in.

John can never be replaced. We all know that. But I think Pete and Rog are
doing the right thing to carry on with this tour. The MUSIC of the Who has
grown bigger than the band ever were or will be. The spirit of the Who's
music lives for ever regardless of what you, me or even the members of the
Who think about it. The Who's music has taken on a life of its own.

Pete and Rog and the rest of the Who unit want to carry on for the time
being. They've known John since they were all kids, and I trust 'em. John's
family want Pete and Rog to carry on conjuring up the Who storm. What right
have any of us 'fans' to say that they shouldn't continue? You think that
it's easy for them? It's difficult for all of us; think what it's like for
them at the moment. Some cynics have suggested that the Who are carrying on
with this tour for the money. Total bollocks. Anyone suggesting this simply
cannot understand the Who and what their music symbolises. Maybe it's the
cynics who should get a life. Maybe they should go fuck 'emselves while
they're at it.

Ultimately, would John have wanted the Who to carry on? Of course he would.
John wasn't some prissy 'star'. He was a thousand times cooler than that. He
understood totally what rock'n'roll was - and is - about. And of course most
of all he loved playing live, and kick-starting the fearsome Who machine in
particular.

It's gonna be tough. It's gonna be emotional. Who fans going to these
upcoming gigs - perhaps the last round of gigs we'll see Pete and Rog play
as the Who - are going to miss the OX like nothing else. So stick together
people.

JAE RIP

Neil