Why couldn't he have had eternal life...

...and never die?

I was out of town on a project and cut off from
everything so I didn't hear until my wife called me
this morning with the news.

John's passing is horribly sad news even if I must say
I've been expecting to wake to this headline for the
last few years. At least he died in harness, on tour
with The Who, still the greatest bass player of all
time. The people I was working with last night were
remarking on all the thunder with no rain in sight.

So it is finally over. No more Who except for the
history books. No more "are you going to see them?"
Now it's "did you ever get to see them? Where they as
good as everyone said?" Yes they were and with all the
leaping and smashing and microphone spinning no one
should ever forget the statue to the left with the
fingers blurring on the giant fretboard; the one who
knew all the windmills and "Yeahhhs" were showbiz and
music was the only thing that mattered.

John The Ox Thunderfingers Entwistle, a hero who was
not too late.

-Brian in Atlanta

NP: King Biscuit Flower Hour Presents John Entwistle
http://fifaworldcup.yahoo.com