Re: The Who Group 2002

John Hughes re:

>This is a fairly sensible arrangement - at least for the shareholders -
>and The Who Group Limited has indeed been in existence since 1979. This
>may be significant as prior to Keith's death I don't think there was a
>specific British legal entity for the Who as a band.

>From what I've gathered...

The Who Group Ltd. has been in existence since at least 1978 and
its creation appears to have coincided with the band's decision to
purchase a large portion of Shepperton Studio Centre after Keith
moved back to England.

The idea for the company sprang from The Who/Roger/Keith's
involvement in motion pictures and was designed to manage
the various avenues they were venturing at the time.

With their 8 sound studios as a base, the initial branches under
this new umbrella were "The Who Films", the entrepeneurial "Holoco"
(lasers, lighting and holography) as well as the provision/storage
of complete sound and lighting systems for such acts as Genesis,
Dylan and Joan Armatrading.

A surviving segment with Nicky Horne from "Thames At Six",
which aired on UK television around August '78, features a tour
of the studios hosted by Keith Moon. At the outset of the piece,
Keith introduces himself as Public Relations Director (!) for
The Who Group Ltd and also later refers to piles of amps and
cabinets as "Who Group...stuff".

It was no surprise to see a credit for The Who Group Ltd. in the
recent rehearsal video but the name resurfacing like this does
shine an optimistic ray of light. (2 new songs - Who Raw!)

"Back in the studio to make our latest No. 1"
Stoo