Re: Roger in The Blender

Kevin O: "Can someone please post the actual article to the list (or to me privately)?
Paleeeaaaaase?"

You're not missing much. This is nearly identical to an interview that was posted a few weeks ago from a different publication. But, since I know we are trying to Capture and Own, I will indulge.

Buck

Talking About Their Generation

The Who
Where: Hard Rock Hotel
When: June 28
Cost: $155.50, $305.50, $355.50
Information: (702) 693-5066

Who else? The Who, of course

By Molly Brown

If its good enough for the Stones.... Well, Mick, Keith and Co. arent the only ones who can jump around and masquerade in their 50s, and well into their 60s. British rock superstars, The Who, announced their summer jaunt long before the Rolling Stones made their fall concert tour plans common knowledge.

While rock purists and some critics may dismiss these older, gentler versions of their breakthrough rock n roll roots of the 60s, there are still many good reasons to go see a veteran rock group. For one, it gives younger audience members a chance to see a piece of rock history in action. And while everyone is crying out for the next Nirvana to blow the current state of music away, its refreshingyes, refreshingto see genuine, groundbreaking rock bands perform the songs that changed a generation. The Who have always played third fiddle to the Beatles and the Stones, but that doesnt mean they didnt have their day. Or their proper influences on the medium we love called rock n roll music.

Oh, and it also gives original fans a chance to relive some of their favorite memories as well.

Were doing it for two reasons, said singer Roger Daltrey in a recent Blender magazine interview. One, at our age, if we stop, it really will stop. Two, were going into the studio in September and October to make another album. They dont make albums anymore, do they?

But albums arent the only things on Daltreys mind. Hes also in the planning stages of a movie about former Who drummer Keith Moon. And hes already talked to comedian Mike Myers and the UKs cheekiest singer, Robbie Williams, to possibly star as the rambunctious Moon.

So, yes, the rock band that hasnt really made an original album for years, and is blasted frequently for its aged reunion tours, is having a bit of resurgence. The group has already been introducing itself to younger audiences by appearing on shows like The Simpsons. Most recently, Daltrey made a guest appearance on That 70s Show as a tyrannical music instructor, to celebrate the series 100th episode. Their new tour will travel to several smaller venues, like their appearance at the Hard Rocks Joint, when the band could easily still fill football stadiums. Its a move that is more personal, more energetic and decidedly more of a real rock n roll attitude.

According to Daltrey, who also said in Blender there are still plenty of reasons to see The Who: Were hoping to play at least two new songs. Also, theres material we havent played live in a long time.

If audiences are still jonesing for Who songs they havent heard in a long timeor maybe neverMCA Records will release The Whos Ultimate Collection on June 11. The two-disc set will include all the hits and classics from the60s to the 80s, plus a few rare, previously unreleased songs.

Count on The Who being in top form when they open the tour in Las Vegas.

Ive managed to stay fit, but Im sagging gracefully, said Daltrey in Blender. A month before a tour, I sing Who songs for two and half hours a night, five nights a week, because I know what it takes. And I ride my bike. Luckily, I havent turned into a tub of lard. I havent an ounce of fat on me.