Re: Comments On Pete's VH1 Interview

Maybe it's because he still thinks Roger is just a twit. Many people do. I've heard Pete defend Roger before (and cut him down 10 seconds later!), so why can't Pete be fully in Roger's corner on the album project? Why?! Why?! Why?! I demand answers.
Because Roger is the solid rock that anchors The Who, but likely he's also annoying as hell. You're right that this is a really complex relationship. One minute Pete's really loves Roger, and the next he's really pissed at him, so it comes out in snide little comments. I guess this is why Pete wonders if they can co-write anything at all.

Actually, I don't see why not--under the right circumstances. Pete said they've collaborated before on WAY, so they had to have established some comfort level on that one, at least. Pete should be comfortable with The Who. It's such a great unit on the stage, and with that behind him, he should be able to open up and channel what he feels.

Pete may have thought it wouldn't happen, but we all heard it last tour. He got out there and produced the same deep and touching work that's been the basis of The Who's success all these years. I don't think Daltrey improvises depth like that, but given a subject, he seemed to come up with very complimentary material.

The conflict over the album might be more than just producing songs, though. I suspect there might be a basic disagreement on the type album to produce. Rock opera is Pete's milieu--what he produces is by nature dramatic, and he follows an idea out with several songs. It seems to be just the way he works, and if that's so, they should go with it.

There's a disagreement even among fans as to whether this is appropriate. Rock opera is panned by punk rock critics these days, and a number of fans have expressed the desire for just a rock album and no concept. But, Pete's storylines aren't that visible. It's questionable whether fans and critics could even identify a subtle operatic concept--it's not obvious on most of The Who's albums.

keets