"Who Day" in Boston

A very intense day.

Great fun was had starting Thursday evening with the Simon T show at The House of Blues. This place is very small and was nearly full with approximately 75 people in attendance. I do like Simon's songs very much. This was the first that I had heard them. I met a good number of other fans and shook Simon and Zak's hands. Pino was also in attendance.

We hosted a little get together in the early afternoon on Friday. Mrs Buck put out a great batch of food for some of the hardcores who came from afar for the show. We moved to the Tweeter parking lot in the late afternoon to tailgate, met up with some more fans. Drank, jammed, chatted, munched. This was all great fun. The drinking in the parking lot by all made it clear that this would be a wild night. It was, as far as the crowd was concerned.

Mrs Buck made our way into the ampitheater for the last 2 songs of Plant's first set. His voice sounded great, his band seemed pretty bland to me. He's worth seeing because he really does sound great.

I was pretty apprehensive between Plant and The Who. I just did not know what to expect from my emotions. They made it through the 1st 3 numbers sounding much like The Who of earlier this year and I thought that every little thing was gonna be alright. Well, "Who Are You" brought my optimism to a crashing halt. John's absence was a huge hole in this number. It was chilling.

The middle of the set had some high points (Relay jam, ICSFM, LOR) and some awful lows (Another Tricky Day just is not working). Pete and Roger et al were certainly giving it their all. They were playing their hearts out.

5:15 is very awkward IMHO, they just don't seem to know what to do in the break where John used to make us feel the thunder. Again, Pete pulled out all the stops for his solo. Fantastic!
They were firing on all cylinders from MG through the end. MG is now a boiled down, faster and more furious version of the jams they've been using in this over the 2000 and early 2002 shows. It is vicious and nasty. Gorgeous!

WGFA was also ferocious and was immediately followed by the photos of John across the big screens. It was wrenching to go from such a killer version of WGFA to seeing those photos of John. I thought I might strain my neck. It was that abrupt.

They came back out for the encore right after the photos ended and went into Pinball Wizard. Decent version, but Pete hasn't quite worked out the transition from PW to Amazing Journey. The AJ/Sparks combo is the highlight of the show, fill in your own adjectives for this ;)

SMFM was a decent closer with mucho crowd participation and a fuck up by Pete at the end.

I was drained. Mrs Buck (who saw her only previous Who show in 1980) was "blown away".
There was a rumor (now confirmed to be true) in the parking lot that The Who will return to Boston at the end of September. This is good news to me.

I saw a drunken woman's shaven naughty bits in the parking lot (she was a stranger).

When I arrived home (around 1:30am) there was a "Mike" on the phone from Florida, who wanted to know how the show went. It was a perfectly surreal ending to a surreal day. Thanks Mike :D

Jeff