Re: extended jams

In a message dated 07/19/2002 8:54:58 AM Central Daylight Time,
TheWho-Digest-Owner@igtc.com writes:

> Regarding the jams (ex. My Gen jam), are they doing any improv jamming at
> all or are they keeping it pretty close to the song in general?  In the
> past, Pete could take the band in unchartered territory because John's radar
> was in tune with Pete and it was John's anchor that kept it all from falling
> apart.  That's something that was honed by years of playing together - a
> sixth sense if you will.
>
> However, with Pino, I curious how this is turning out.  Pino is a great bass
> player, but he hasn't clocked as much time with Pete as John obviously did.
> How are the jam breaks working out, if at all?  The instrumental between
> Amazing Journey and Sparks is another example; Pete never played it the same
> way twice and either extended it or shortened it.  How's this going with
> Pino?

I don't have much experience seeing the Who live, but did go to all four west
coaast shows, and it sure seemed like improv to me.  The MG jam from HBowl
was different from any jam I have heard on bootlegs or videos, and was
different from the ones at shoreline and gorge (autowest was a very shortened
jam similar to what I have heard before).  The WGFA jams were different also,
especially what Pete did at the Gorge.  It is on the video from Matt Kent's
diary.  I think Pete developed some different sounding guitar jams prior to
the tour, then improvises from there.  They actually were jamming out on most
of their songs.  The TKAA jam was real nice.

mc

"Just fucking listen and shut up!"- Pete Townshend live in Long Beach 1971