Who compared to the Eagles

Well, I just got back from seeing the American mega-band, The Eagles, at the
Bancorp South Center (which amazingly has not one ATM machine) in Tupelo, MS.
 Nice venue for a show (relatively small at about 10,000 capacity, incliding
the floor), no opening act, just "an evening with the Eagles."  The four
current members, Henley, Walsh, Frey, and Schmidt, were backed by 2
keyboardists, a horn section, a drummer, a violinist, and a lead guitarist.
Wait, why do the Eagles need a lead guitarist with Joe Walsh there?  GREAT
FUCKING QUESTION!!!  For the one-hour prior to intermission (intermission?
god i love the Who), the band featured all their songs that we like to fall
asleep to.  One after the other, ballad after ballad.  If never see glenn
Frey behind a piano again it'll be too soon.  Walsh looked like he wished he
were somewhere else, strumming his guitar half-heartedly while this session
guitarist was spotlighted as he soloed during song after song.  He wasn't
bad, mind you, but he's NOT AN EAGLE!!!  I paid to see Walsh jam, not some
guy named something Smith (his name really was smith).  They each had to get
their turn to be out front singing lead, egos abounding.  I wonder what
pre-tour negotiations were like?  Glenn: "If Don gets to sing his solo stuff,
then I get at least 7 solo spotlights with me at the piano."  I can now see
why they couldn't last as a band.  Too many front men.  Walsh had a total of
one guitar solo the first hour.  Well, they saved the show by back-loading
all their biggest hits for the second half.  Walsh stole the show, playing
extremely well and with passion.  All their voices are still very good, and
they actually moved around some after intermission.  People actually started
standing up.  I could have done without the 3 encores, none of which featured
more than 2 songs, but overall the show was good.  I'm glad I went.  What it
did show me, however, is that the Who are 10 times better than other classic
rock bands live, even without keith and john.  I can't even begin to imagine
what a late 60s early 70s who show was like.  I might not have been able to
handle it.

mc

"Just fucking listen and shut up!"- Pete Townshend live in Long Beach 1971