Who not "better" now

In a message dated 07/18/2002 7:54:51 AM Central Daylight Time,
TheWho-Digest-Owner@igtc.com writes:

> I can't speak to that, yet. It's impossible for me to believe that they're
> better without John than with, as he was fully half of their sound after
> Keith died. I saw them with Keith. And on every tour from 1989 on. The
> `96-97 tour was great, with `97 being measurably better than `96. The 2000
> tour was just below the 1975 level, but a lot of that came from John (who
> had a larger presence on that tour than any I've seen since `75, most
> likely because the other tours had outside musicians). So while Pete might
> be on his highest level...I don't doubt that, given his evolution since the
> band broke up...Roger's voice couldn't be BETTER, so it's good enough if he
> stays on the 2000 level. But...what we're left with is no John!

I never even implied that the shows were better without John.  However, I
thought the things said about Pete and Roger by JK were unfair and un-called
for.  Who is he to pass judgement on Pete and Roger and how they respond to
John's death.  They had been friends with John since adolescence. how long
had JK know John??  I also know what I saw... and that is 4 amazing shows.
John had a part in them, because I am sure that the remaining Who were
inspired to pay tribute to him.  Of course they can't be as good without John
as they aren't without Keith, but shows today can be better than some shows
that had Keith and John.  At Shoreline I heard many people raving about what
an improvement had been made since 2000.  A certain reviewer in Los Angeles
remarked similarly comparing the Hollywood Bowl shows.  He also crystallized
what many of us feel: "The great performance was great to see, but at the
same time it makes me disappointed to think how great it would have been had
John been there."  I have had some bad things happen to me in the last 2
months, and I was looking forward to this tour more than ever leading up to
June 29.  When John died, selfishly I was crushed that I would not get to see
the Who ever again.  Roger and Pete continuing with the tour, then performing
with such fire, meant more to me than anyone will ever know.

kevin mc

"Just fucking listen and shut up!"- Pete Townshend live in Long Beach 1971