From: Mary Eckert [mailto:meckert@thegrid.net]
Sent: Wednesday, July 03, 2002 10:25 AM
To: Mary Eckert
Subject: Fw: Hollywood Bowl

----- Original Message -----
From: Mary Eckert <mailto:meckert@thegrid.net>
To: TheWho-Digest-Owner@igtc.com <mailto:TheWho-Digest-Owner@igtc.com>
Sent: Tuesday, July 02, 2002 9:57 PM
Subject: Hollywood Bowl

Briefly,

Coverage beforehand by the LA TV stations was good; they all had people
there.  They interviewed a couple from IL who had tickets to both Irvine and
the Bowl...it was a balmy evening, shirt sleeve weather.  We had seats about
in the first third of the bowl, dead center...arrived as Counting Crows was
starting their set...they were good, I don't really know their music, but
recognized a couple of songs.  They were in total awe of opening for the
guys...said that the sound check was the best rock concert they had been to.
The concert was sold out...as always all ages, including a guy with his 6-7
year old son sitting a few rows down from us.
The audience was subdued, but not sad, and everyone there seemed glad to be
able to be there ready to rock.  A video of rehearsals played before the
concert started.  Pete and Roger hugged before starting, Roger had on a
black long-sleeved shirt and black jeans; Pete a black T-shirt and black
pants.  Pino Palladino was all in black, Zak wore a white shirt, so did
Rabbit and Simon wore blue jeans and a grey long-sleeved shirt.   Pino and
Simon stayed in the "background" during the entire show.  It was clearly a
night for Pete and Roger.  The audience was very enthusiastic, singing
through the entire concert, at least where we were sitting; most standing
for the entire show.  It was a night of celebration.
Roger looked very tired, lack of sleep tired.  Pete had on sunglasses for
about the first 3-4 numbers, but looked okay when he took them off.  I guess
they had been rehearsing for 3 days  After they hugged...right in to the
music:

1.  Can't Explain
2.  Substitute
3.  Anyway, Anyhow, Anywhere
Pete (I'm paraphrasing):...tonight we play for John Entwistle who is the
true spirit of R&R and he lives on in all the music we play.  The music
can't be the same, but it is in tact.  Later he commented on how difficult
it was to be doing what they were doing...Pete mentioned that a friend in
the front row made it through about 5 minutes and had to leave, he was
concerned about how hard it was for all of them.
4.  Who Are You
5.  Another Tricky Day--Roger and Pete finally relaxed, exchanged words,
they were into it, big smiles, banter between songs.
Pete commented on how it smelled like someone was smoking chamomile and how
the decor above them looked like a white vagina with thrush (there are these
big white balls hanging down from ceiling over the stage).
6.  Relay...Pete in his own reverie--kick ass
7.  Bargain....Pete: "it IS difficult"..more kick ass
8.  Baba
9.  Emminence Front
10.  Sea & Sand
11. 5:15
12.  Love Reign O'er Me...just great
13. Behind Blue Eyes
14. You Better, You Bet
15. TKAA
16. My Generation
17. WGFA
The audience got wilder as the show went on...they reached a peak for My
Generation and WGFA.  Roger sounded better than ever...it was a cool evening
as it got later...his voice was strong.
Encore:
Pinball Wizard right in to Amazing Journey and, finally, See Me, Feel Me.
They flashed stills on the video screens of them together and separately
when we were all young...
It was not an occasion of sadness, I don't know how the rest of the tour
will go for them, but it has started off well with proper homage.
Mare
Tomorrow night, Shorline