The Who at the Hollywood Bowl 7/1/02

My review of Monday night's show.  Be gentle, I'm not really a reviewer.
I also submitted this to KNAC.COM, as I participate in that metal community.

cheers

---------------------

...and then there were Two.

The houselights went down, then the stagelights went up.  Pete and Roger
came onstage in all black, Pete also wearing black sunglasses.  We all
stood up and gave them an ovation as they hugged each other onstage.  We
didn't sit down for the next two hours as the band played many of their
best songs.

I was in Who heaven, treated to the wonderful classics that drew me to
the band, and a few gems I hadn't seen played live before.

Like many other fans, I thought this wonderful ride was over on
Thursday.  I was surprised, and a little unsure of how to feel when
they'd announced that the Bowl show would be the tour opener, and that
Pino would stand in.  I took it hard watching the show and seeing some
other "bloke" in John's spot onstage.  I'm sure I wasn't alone in
feeling that way.  It reminded me of a loss I didn't want to face.  John
is such a huge part of the Who's trademark sound.  However, Pino was
honored by the crowd with applause whenever he was shown on the video
screens.  Pete and Roger thanked him a couple of times for coming and
helping them out in their time of need with only 2 days rehearsal.  What
an unenviable position he is in.  He was a little stiff, and stood in
the shadows for the first few songs, but was very capable.  One can only
hope he will relax and stretch out as the tour progresses.  He got a
nice round of applause during "My Generation"'s trademark bass runs.
The only complaint I had about Pino was that he wasn't loud enough.
Hopefully this will be remedied in future shows.

Rounding out the rest of the stage personnel are amazing drummer Zak
Starkey, who most are thinking must have the middle name "son of
Ringo".  He is wonderful, and have given the Who new life, and a new
generation of fans.  Supporting Pete on guitar and vocals is his own
brother Simon, who will tour with them. John "Rabbit" Bundrick played
keyboards for them, as he's done for the past 20 plus years.

Pete was on fire tonight, taking his emotions to his guitar as we had
hoped.  I was looking for a little autodestruction on that red
stratocaster he wielded, but alas it didn't come to fruition.  No
worries though, as he leaped and windmilled on every power chord,
showing us the power these wonderful songs still hold.  I commented to
other fans in my row "they sure can still rock hard for a bunch of old
geezers".

The show opened with three early hits, "I can't explain", followed by
"Substitute", then "Anyway Anyhow Anywhere".  Roger then came forward
and announced that "John's spirit is in all the music we play", before
stepping back from the mic, visibly emotional.  They then went straight
into a rousing version of "Who Are You" in which we all sang the backing
vocals with them.

Roger's voice was very strong tonight, as evident in "Love reign o'er
me", a wonderful strong emotional song from Quadrophenia.  He poured his
heart and soul into every song, and as I looked around, it seemed
everyone in the crowd was singing along with him, channeling it back
onto the stage.

There were light moments tonight, as Pete pointed out how he'd never
noticed the large white globes in the Hollywood Bowl's stage shell
before.  It was quite funny as he commented how it appeared like they
were in a "giant white vagina", "back in the womb" and how the balls
looked like huge testicles.  "It's a sperm factory" he said, as the
crowd erupted in laughter.  Another fun moment was when Pete shined some
attention at their long-suffering road manager Bob Pridden, and pointed
out their onstage "hand-signals" to the crowd.  Roger pointed out how
the raised middle-finger means "you fucked something up".  Pete also
overused Bob's favorite phrase "it's not my fault" which drew more
laughs.

Some songs which hadn't made an appearance in recent tours made an
appearance tonight, such as "Another Tricky Day" in which Roger forgot
the last verse.  Pete later messed up the first verse in "Eminence
Front", another song which hasn't been played on tour in some years.
Roger donned an electric guitar on this one.  The real gems which came
out tonight included "The Relay" from the aborted "Lifehouse" film
project which evolved into the classic album "Who's Next, "Sea and Sand"
from Quadrophenia, and a nice Tommy section of "Amazing Journey",
"Sparks", "See me, feel me", and "Listening to you" in the encore.  Pete
was taking it all out on his poor red abused stratocaster, and treated
us all to a classic "birdman" moment where he just lets the guitar roar
while he holds both arms out.  This moment truly illustrated their
onstage power for me.

All in all, this was the show I was hoping for.  Two full hours of Pete
and Roger delivering the goods, and their emotions in the music.  The
crowd was giving them 1000% support, and they fed off it.  It wasn't a
sad wake, but a rousing tribute to John.  There was a video montage
shown prior to the show which included video from the recent rehearsals
at Pete's home in London.  Each time John was shown, there were cheers
and applause.  At the end, there were photos of John shown on the giant
screens.  Pete and Roger stood watching this before they waved and
walked off.

Noticeably absent were the extended jam sessions we were treated to in
2000.  No "Magic bus", and no "5:15" bass solo, not that there should
have been.  Sure there are holes, the largest of which is the absence of
John.  The good thing is that Pino wasn't expected to re-enact those
solos.  He is there to do a job, not to imitate John's style.  I don't
know how they will compensate with such a huge loss in their sound, I
only hope they can.  Tonight they showed that they are on their way to
achieving that goal.

Long live rock.  Long live the Who.

setlist:
Can't Explain