Shoreline

Shoreline:

    Just got back. I am sure others will provide a set list.
I am sure others will provide a set list. The songs are
completely predictable, and the basic arrangements are unchanged. The
absense of Entwhistle is very apparent, and strangely, makes the
absense of Moon ever more obvious. Entwhistle had been picking up
much of the rhythmic structure since Moon died, and with both of them
missing, the rumbling, thundering oddly syncopated Who was missing.
   But the show was amazing. *Blistering*. Daltrey truly never sounded stronger
in at least 15 years, and I have seeing them since 1970. And
Townshend carried the show on his shoulder. It's been a long
time since I've seen him simply work so hard; he filled in the sound,
took off on inspired passages, and stayed close and tight with
Daltrey. No tantrums, no barking, no artist in pain, nothing. He was
very talkative (a few comments, some canned, some snide), but for the
most part, he was clearly mourning, focussed, and wanting more than ever
to not be a parody of himself.
   I went into this tonight with some real confusions in my heart. I am
glad I went. They did themselves proud - somehow, they managed to be
neither maudlin nor lighthearted. They peeled paint off walls at certain
times - with noise, with chords, with feedback, and with affection.