news articles

Apologies if these have already been posted.

http://abcnews.go.com/wire/Entertainment/ap20020702_453.html

Who Launch Tour After Death of Bassist
Surviving Members of The Who Launch Tour After Death of Bassist John Entwistle

The Associated Press

L O S   A N G E L E S, July 2  The Who turned their mourning into defiant
energy in their first concert after the death of their longtime bassist.

Pete Townshend and Roger Daltrey, the surviving members of the seminal, 1960's
British rock band performed Monday night at the Hollywood Bowl in the group's
first concert since John Entwistle's death last week.

The first two shows of the group's North American tour were canceled after
Entwistle, 57, died in his sleep Thursday in Las Vegas, and his bandmates
vowed to continue as a tribute to him.

"I just wanted to say that tonight we played for John Entwistle," Daltrey said
after opening the show with the hits, "I Can't Explain," and "Substitute." "He
was the true spirit of rock 'n' roll and he lives on in the music we play."

The group, featuring substitute bass player Pino Palladino, then launched into
a frenetic rendition of "Who Are You."

Earlier, Townshend said he did not expect Palladino, who has played with Tears
for Fears, Eric Clapton and Elton John, to "emulate, parody or copy John
Entwistle in any way."

"The one request I made was that at first he play as loud as he can bear!" the
guitarist said in a message posted on his Web site.

Entwistle, Daltrey and Townshend were three of the founding members of the
rock quartet. Drummer Keith Moon died in 1978 of a drug overdose.

The group, founded in London in the early 1960s, was part of the British rock
invasion along with the Rolling Stones and the Beatles. Their parade of hits
included "I Can See For Miles," "Pinball Wizard," and "Won't Get Fooled
Again."

The Who has been known for explosive shows that often culminate in the
smashing of their musical instruments on stage. But Entwistle's bass guitar
work was known for its great reserve, anchoring the wildman antics of the
other players.

Fans at the packed Hollywood Bowl gave the group a standing ovation before a
single note was played. Palladino played the first few songs off to the side,
often in shadow.

Before the set began, giant screens featured video of the group rehearsing at
Townshend's home nearly two weeks before Entwistle's death. The audience
cheered and applauded each time Entwistle was seen.

Many said they were sorry that he was gone, but believe The Who would survive
his loss.

"The truth of the matter is, Entwistle was very mellow, so he affects the
music but he doesn't affect the stage dynamic as much," said Howard Fuchs, 50,
a Los Angeles attorney who said he had seen the group perform nearly 20 times.
"He was unique and replaceable all in one."

Most fans said they were glad the band planned to continue.

"I've lost good friends in my life and the best thing you can do to get it out
of your system is to express it through music," said Michael May, 39, of Los
Angeles, a camera operator and amateur guitarist.

Midway through the show, Townshend took the microphone to thank fans for
supporting the band during their time of mourning.

"We're not just pretending as if nothing happened," Townshend said. "It is
difficult."

At the end of the show, he and Daltrey embraced and waved farewell to a giant
screen beside the stage on which was projected images of Entwistle from his
youth to his older days.

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2002/07/02/entertainment/main513989.shtml

Mourning Through Their Music

LOS ANGELES, July 2, 2002

"Tonight, we play for John Entwistle. He's the true spirit of rock 'n' roll,
and he lives on in all the music we play."
Roger Daltrey

(CBS) The Who turned their mourning into defiant energy in their first concert
after the death of their longtime bassist.

Four days after the death of bass player John Entwistle, the two surviving
members of the British rock band kicked off their previously planned North
American tour in front of 18,000 fans at the historic Hollywood Bowl on
Monday.

While some people debated the propriety of playing so soon after the death, a
surprisingly lighthearted Roger Daltrey and Pete Townshend got down to
business, grinding out two hours of classic material from three decades' worth
of albums.

"Tonight, we play for John Entwistle," said vocalist Daltrey, three songs into
the set. "He's the true spirit of rock 'n' roll, and he lives on in all the
music we play."

The first two shows of the group's North American tour were canceled after
Entwistle, 57, died in his sleep of an apparent heart attack Thursday in Las
Vegas, and his bandmates vowed to continue as a tribute to him.

Standing in for Entwistle was Welsh session musician Pino Palladino, who had
undergone two intensive days' of rehearsals after the band announced on Friday
that its three-month tour would go on as a "tribute...to an irreplaceable
friend."

Earlier, Townshend said he did not expect Palladino, who has played with Tears
for Fears, Eric Clapton and Elton John, to "emulate, parody or copy John
Entwistle in any way."

"The one request I made was that  at first  he play as loud as he can bear!"
the guitarist said in a message posted on his Web site.

Entwistle, Daltrey and Townshend were three of the founding members of the
rock quartet. Drummer Keith Moon died in 1978 of a drug overdose. His place is
being taken on the tour by Zak Starkey, son of Ringo Starr.

The ensemble is rounded out by keyboardist John "Rabbit" Bundrick, and
Townshend's youngest brother, Simon, on acoustic guitar and backing vocals.

[...]

The decision to tour provoked disbelief in other quarters.

"It's business  and I underline the word 'business'  as usual," a disgusted
Jim Ladd, a veteran Los Angeles radio personality, said on his broadcast
Monday night.

Townshend intimated as much on his Web site last Saturday when he wrote, "I
simply believe we have a duty to go on, to ourselves, ticket buyers, staff,
promoters, big and little people."

Midway through the show, Townshend took the microphone to thank fans for
supporting the band during their time of mourning.

"We're not just pretending as if nothing happened," Townshend said. "It is
difficult."

But he said Los Angeles was a great place to kick off the tour, joking that it
was "full of emptiness, deep rivers of shallow nothingness."

"I think you know, probably more than anybody what the show business side of
all this stuff is, and we do feel comfortable to be here tonight."