[no subject]

The Who rocks on: 'We played for John'
LOS ANGELES, California (AP) -- The surviving members
of The Who expressed their grief with noise instead of
tears.

Pete Townshend and Roger Daltrey, the surviving
members of the seminal, 1960's British rock band,
performed at the Hollywood Bowl on Monday night in the
group's first concert since the death last week of
longtime bassist John Entwistle.

The first two shows of the group's North American tour
were canceled after Entwistle, 57, died in his sleep
Thursday in Las Vegas, and his bandmates vowed to
continue as a tribute to him.

"I just wanted to say that tonight we played for John
Entwistle," Daltrey said after opening the show with
the hits, "I Can't Explain," and "Substitute."

"He was the true spirit of rock 'n' roll and he lives
on in the music we play," Daltrey said.

The group, featuring substitute bass player Pino
Palladino, then launched into a frenetic rendition of
"Who Are You."

Earlier, Townshend said he did not expect Palladino,
who has played with Tears for Fears, Eric Clapton and
Elton John, to "emulate, parody or copy John Entwistle
in any way."

"The one request I made was that -- at first -- he
play as loud as he can bear!" the guitarist said in a
message posted on his Web site.

Entwistle, Daltrey and Townshend were three of the
founding members of the rock quartet. Drummer Keith
Moon died in 1978 of a drug overdose.

The group, founded in London in the early 1960s, was
part of the British rock invasion along with the
Rolling Stones and the Beatles. Their parade of hits
included "I Can See For Miles," "Pinball Wizard," and
"Won't Get Fooled Again."

The Who has been known for explosive shows that often
culminate in the smashing of their musical instruments
on stage. But Entwistle's bass guitar work was known
for its great reserve, anchoring the wildman antics of
the other players.

Daltrey and Townshend said they would do their best to
turn their grief into energy, hoping to preserve the
band's vigor as they did after Moon's death.

"I will try hard not to fall into any of my usual
mini-depressions on this tour," Townshend said in an
earlier written statement. "We are musicians,
entertainers. We can do it. We have the right tools.
No worries."

Fans at the packed Hollywood Bowl gave the group a
standing ovation before a single note was played.
Palladino played the first few songs off to the side,
often in shadow.

Before the set began, giant screens featured a video
of the group rehearsing at Townshend's home nearly two
weeks before Entwistle's death. The audience cheered
and applauded each time Entwistle was seen.

Many said they were sorry that he was gone, but
believe The Who would survive his loss.

"The truth of the matter is, Entwistle was very
mellow, so he affects the music but he doesn't affect
the stage dynamic as much," said Howard Fuchs, 50, a
Los Angeles attorney who said he had seen the group
perform nearly 20 times. "He was unique and
replaceable all in one."

Midway through the show, Townshend took the microphone
to thank fans for supporting the band during their
time of mourning. "We're not just pretending as if
nothing happened," Townshend said. "It IS difficult."

At the end of the show, he and Daltrey embraced and
waved farewell to a giant screen beside the stage on
which was projected images of Entwistle from his youth
to his older days.

=====
-Brian in Atlanta
The Who This Month!