Trust the Band / Pete's Motivation

On the surface, it feels wrong that the tour is beginning before John is laid to rest. Yet I realize there's a lot we don't know. My guess is that the Entwhistle family told Pete and Roger that the funeral will take place next week (The Who's first leg ends July 6th). It is impossible for me fathom that the entire Who family will not be in attendance to say a final goodbye to John. That would be disrepectful! I think we need to trust Pete's judgment and SHOW THE BAND SOME LOVE!.

In the post '82 Who era, Pete has needed a good reason to be involved with a Who project/tour. In '89, it was the band's 25th anniversary and the 20th anniversary of Tommy; in '96-'97, it was the opportunity to play the enitre Quadrophenia album live for the first time; in 2000, after years of therapy, Pete's agreed to tour as a gesture of friendship and love he felt for Roger and John, not to mention the fact that they (Roger & John) needed the money; in 2002, Pete agreed to tour so that Roger would get the 20-30 shows he felt he needed to get his voice in shape for the attempt at recording new material. Now, with John's passing, new challenges have emerged for Pete: To fill the void on stage,to keep the band together and to show Who fans and the rock media that the band can still play at a high level. Through his sadness, I think Pete will perform best when he's needed the most. That time is now.

David in New York