RE: The Who Sell Out?

>From: "L. Bird" <pkeets@hotmail.com>
>Subject: VH1 show
>
>VH1 is running a series of annual Behind the Music's today, and (among
>others) they covered the year 2000, including the role of commercials in
>music promotion.  Pete has said something about this in apparent response
>complaints (like Kevin's) about "selling out" The Who's catalog.

Well, I'm not sure I was really complaining.  Well, perhaps.
I actually like to hear Who songs on TV, even when attached to commercials.
What bugs me at times though are how the songs are used.  An auto (or
anything else) as a "Bargain" just kind of bastardized the song for me.
But, worse then that for me was the Nissan commercial of the 4x4's ripping
apart a field while playing polo.
Just a crappy image of irresponsible 4x4 usage to the backdrop of The Who's
music.
Just wish there was a bit more involvement by The Who to keep things PC and
projecting positive images and thoughts.
I kind of get the feeling Pete and The Who have been kind of hands-off-ish
with the use of their music.  Kind of like "here take the damn bloody thing
and do what you will".
Disclaimer:  I could always be wrong.

Kevin in VT