Re: Rigor Mortis Sets In

Re: "Rock"

> Pete said it's coming back.  The music business is "cyclical" he said.  Rap
> and hiphop have been the industry leaders long enough that folks are tired
> of them.  Younger kids are looking for something to show they're different
> from the older ones, maybe.  Whatever, rap and hiphop never managed to
> actually dethrone kind rock.  It's just been waiting to make a comeback.

I've been hearing this for the past 15 years.  "Rock's making a comeback!!
Yippee!!"

And what do we keep getting?  Pretty-boy bands that get milked by the record
companies for 3-5 years & finally abandoned.

I'm sure the record companies licked their chops when they caught a glimpse
of Creed's Fabio-look-a-like lead singer.  "This'll be easy!!"

Corporate Rock is devoid of any intellectualism or danger.  It's music for stupid
people who want to be distracted rather then engaged.  Wonder if Jefferson Air-
plane could land a record contract today?

I get real negative & nasty when it comes to this subject.  Popular music is way
too fragmented now for Rock to ever acheive it's past glory.

Good Rock is still out there though.  It just got pushed into the underground
where, kindly, you only have to pay $3.00 instead of $40.00 to stand on beer-
sticky floors.

No, I'm afraid our good 'ole buddy Rock will never be mainstream again.  Un-
less the near future holds another tumultuous decade like the 60's.  Then maybe.

- SCHRADE in Akron