Re:Pete's comment on GWB

In a message dated 01/04/2002 9:55:37 PM Central Standard Time,
TheWho-Digest-Owner@igtc.com writes:

> As I recall there was some basis for Pete to be irritated.  The Republicans
> played WGFA at their nationally broadcast function (victory party?),
> altered
> the song, and neither asked permission nor credited Pete.  I doubt if they
> paid any royalties for the broadcast, either.  It might help if they
> coughed
> up a little dough for the RIAA.

Despite it being nationally broadcast, i don't believe any politician has
given credit to or paid royalties to bands or artists whose songs are played
at victory parties.  The broadcasts are also controlled by the news media,
not the parties or candidates.  Clinton didn't credit the Doobie Bros every
time they played "Don't Stop Thinkin About Tomorrow."  Neither did Dukakis
when he played Neil Diamond's "America."  I think Pete's comment was clearly
political.  I will criticize him for it, but certainly won't let it affect my
love for PT as a member of the Who.  Unlike others on this forum, I don't let
political disagreements affect who I like and dislike personally or
professionally or artistically.

Kevin Mc