I'm amazed that one would defend...

In a message dated 02/25/2002 10:49:22 PM Central Standard Time,
TheWho-Digest-Owner@igtc.com writes:

> You should organize a boycott amongst non-assholes.  BTW, I'm interested in
> this "rich asshole" concept.  Would you care to elaborate?

...people snapping up as many seats as they can in order to re-sell them at
huge mark-ups to make money by screwing real fans.  The transferability of
the ticket is irrelevant- the tickets are trademarked and copyrighted and for
one to re-sell it as their own is wrong- even if it may not technically be
illegal in all states.  The tickets are a product of the band, promoters,
arenas, etc... NOT the brokers who serve only to drive up prices for average
consumers.  The tix are not theirs to sell was my point. Yes, there are many
brokers and they may compete with one another, but in the end we all must pay
200%-300% of the actual value of the ticket.  To say I have the choice not to
go to the concert is ridiculous and certainly irrelevant- of course I don't
have to go, but my decision certainly shouldn't be determined by tickets
priced out of my range because brokers get them all first and mark them up.
I know many of you buy Who tix and re-sell at face to other fans, which is
awesome and I highly applaud it, but many are not able to benefit from it or
are not able to take their chances outside the venue because they live so far
away.  The "rich" and the "assholes" are not mutually exclusive.  I simply
meant that there are always assholes who are rich and can afford tix at any
price and think nothing of paying it, thus keeping brokers in business even
if there was a boycott.  IMHO, ticket brokering may be legal in most places,
but it should be illegal because it hurts consumers- just like the increase
in the gasoline tax back in the early 90s which only served to hurt college
students like I was, and lower-middle income working people who relied on
their cars for their livelihood.  In short- it's wrong.

kevin mc