for love of the game

In a message dated 02/22/2002 9:59:57 AM Central Standard Time,
TheWho-Digest-Owner@igtc.com writes:

> Then I'm not supporting the big team anymore, and would rather see amateur
> baseball. Why? Because those guys play for the real fun of the game.

Do you really think the Who are doing this tour because of the money?  I know
the money will be nice for them, but i think only john really needs it, and
maybe zak could use some.  The prices aren't that bad.  I've gotten pretty
decent seats for anywhere between 50-100 dollars.  I must admit, i'm not
expecting to sit in the first 5 rows center stage- and actually expected
those seats to be more expensive than they are in many of these venues.
Everyone is bitching about the $550 seats at hollywood bowl- but those seats
are like the pool boxes, right the fuck there by the stage.  There will
probably be a bunch of actors, directors, and producers in those seats
because they can afford them.  The rest of the HB seats are competitively
priced with the other venues (cheaper, actually, than MSG).  All this Who
stuff is gravy for the band, and great for us.  They don't need to do it.
For God's sake- they and the Stones are really the only two active bands of
their era.  These are nearly 60-yr old guys continuing to allow their fans to
see them perform.  Dylan tours, but he is awful live, especially these days
(which is why tickets are cheap).  The stones aren't nearly as good live-
especially these days, as the Who- so i think we should stop moaning about
prices.  Do you think the Stones tour will have cheaper tickets?  How bout
McCartney and his lame act?  I look at it this way- I'm plannin a road trip
to the west coast with hopefully 6 to 8 people, and it should only cost each
person $500 start to finish- including tix, food, gas, and camping.  10 days-
grand canyon, yosemite, and yellwstone on the way home from Washington, plus
5 who gigs.  I don't think that deal can be beat anywhere.  I would like
front row seats- but i realize i am in a finacial situation where i could
maybe sit up front for 1 or 2 shows- but would miss the rest.  I want as much
who as I can get.

kevin mc