Re: Pete's Pissy Mood

> Ouch!  Trying to repeat a formula is the worst thing in the world to do.
> You see it all the time--"Hey! We've got a hit! Now let's keep doing that
> same thing over and over to make sure they're all hits!"  But the public is
> always off after the next new sound, and the fomula turns out to be
> forgettable.  The hard thing is to make something original and classic that
> sticks up above the sea of dross playing on the airwaves.

But an artist *can* create something original keeping within the framework
of "Rock."  Originality doesn't necessarily mean creating some kind of brand
new musical genre completely outside of what's come before it.  Rock would've
died in the 50's if that were the case.

> >Aren't you setting your standards too high?

> Aren't you setting your standards too low?

Touche'!

> Everybody's trying to trap Pete into a rock album, when that's what he
> left behind a long time ago.

Um....do you think maybe that's because The Who are a *ROCK* band?

> That's one big reason he wanted to be free of The Who, of course--
> because they were so associated with the rock genre and he felt they
> couldn't do anything else successfully.

Well, he's not free of The Who now.  Time for Pete to let go of those silly
ideas & write some Rock tunes.  He's a professional, right?

> Let's just have some good music and not try to classify it.

Gosh, what are we gonna talk about then? :-)

> >The magic of The Who is the coming together & playing of TED.
> >*That's* what's been getting us off all these years.  The Who are great at
> >making Who music - not blindly grappling with musical genres.
>
> I don't think they do it blindly.

Nor do I.

> Just about every show they've done has some kind of experiment in it.

Well, that might be an exaggeration.  Some may say their current shows
have been too conservative.

> Like I said, I don't want to limit what they do.  Every album they've ever
> done is different,

But they've all been *ROCK* albums, correct?  I totally agree that The Who's
album catalogue is a varied mix of styles & themes, but I still maintain that each
one of them is *ROCK* album.  There's proof right there that you don't need
to throw the baby out with the bath water in order to create something fresh.

> and I don't think we should expect Pete to go backward and try to re-create
> the WHO'S NEXT sound or the QUAD sound, or whatever.

See, we differ here.  I'd be thrilled if the new album had the *sound* of WN or
QUAD & some fresh, up-to-date themes to go along with it.  And I wouldn't be
adverse to some techno-tinkering, as long as it's not the *groundwork* of the whole
album.  Seasoning, yes.  Main course, no.

> It comes out like it comes out.

Atleast we *hope* it's gonna come out!

> Pete's always been the master of techno.

You're confusing him with Kraftwerk!

> No, I want them to start the bandwagon.

They can do that within the confines of Rock, though.

> A new direction for rock?  Sounds good to me.

Ah-ha!  You said the "R" word!!

> > > Echinasea.
> >
> >Eh?
>
> The herb.  It's an antiviral and immune stimulator and it will cut down the
> severity of colds.

I've been drinking lots of tea.  Feeling a bit better now.

- SCHRADE in Akron