U2 or Who @ Super Bowl

Here's another in a continuing series of fascinating glimpses into my
personal life:

A few weeks ago one of my co-workers said (with great conviction):  "It is a
*travesty* that The New England Patriots don't get more respect from the
press."

I am not a very big spectator sport fan, so I thought it sounded a bit
ridiculous to call this a 'travesty' and get so worked up about it.

I thought of my co-worker as I was reading our discussion about U2's
appearance at the Super Bowl.  Isn't music just another form of
entertainment?  Is rock really about anything in particular?  Can't it be
simple fun without betraying some imagined tradition of rebellion and higher
purpose?  Isn't it pretty goddamned pretentious to thrash U2 for their
appearance and yet laud The Who for using their CFNY appearance to further
their fame?

I think a rock band can have it both ways regardless of whether I like, love
or hate their music.

Jeff