Re: Sum of All Fears

Date: Mon, 23 Dec 2002 00:21:02 -0500
From: Sroundtable@aol.com

It wasn't a WW2 movie. The villain is a terrorist bent on rekindling Nazi-ism and the Aryan superiority movement. Let's not take our band so seriously that we get offended if a movie villain uses a lyric.
The mention as reported (and as I've well demonstrated, I haven't seen the movie :-) said that the person not only quoted the lyric but said a "great poet" wrote it. Lyrics, as well as other well-known lines of poetry, catchphrases, etc. become popular and pass into general use where frequently the person saying them doesn't know their original context and sometimes even applies them out of context or erroneously (e.g., thinking "Wherefore art thou Romeo?" means "Hey, Romeo, where are you?"). It wouldn't bother me if "meet the new boss, same as the old boss" had just been used without any special emphasis. Who-literate folks could appreciate the reference and within the context of the film the character could be supposed to have just seen or heard a phrase that stuck in his head.

However, the mention of the "great poet" indicates that the neo-Nazi character had not only heard the phrase but 1) learned who wrote the phrase; 2) presumably studied much more of the author's work (since great as WGFA is, the one song by itself wouldn't be enough to qualify the author as a great poet) and 3) evaluated that person as a great poet. Within the context of the film, this amounts to the character endorsing the poet Pete as worthy of admiration within the neo-Nazi group, and thus that they have a significant number of values in common, not just that Pete wrote a single phrase which happens to be applicable in a context of the neo-Nazi's choosing.

Of course, I do not believe that Pete's values coincide with the aims of a neo-Nazi outfit so I think the movie substantially misrepresents him.

So there ya go,

Unoffended but analytical,
--
Alan