Re: Who influenced New Wave blah blah blah

I seem to have a problem with covers.  Seems almost sacrilegious.

Kevin:

Even if it's The Who doing Please Please Please?

On Bowie?
I think Pete was ahead of Bowie on that.

Bowie was influenced by Pete, true, but MUSICALLY there's no New Wave in Who music! Whereas you take your typical NW artist, like Klaus Nomi or Lene Lovich and you can easily hear the Bowie there. Unless you're Scott.

Pete was the new wave man!  All the new wavers were worshiping him at the time.  Check out the '81 show from Essen.  Even the way Pete dances is all about new wave.

Uh, that would be Pete being NW...not NW being Pete. He went through a New Romantic phase...I try to forget. Spandex Ballet? Yesh!

You're a decade behind here.   :-)

No I'm not. Sabbath owes a LOT to the sound The Who started. That big monolithic sound.

That's not clobbering, is it?  ;-)

Nope.

I'd like a little more evidence, that's all; other than meaningless
vagaries.

Scott:

Meaningless? I oughta...

sional & amateur, that sound insightful at first but really hold no
weight.

I've lost a lot of weight, it's true.

Statements like: Pete Townshend isn't a lead guitar player.  And: Keith
Moon didn't keep the beat in Who songs.  Rubbish.

I never said those. You shouldn't associate me with people who have. SOMEONE has to be right, you know. Might as well be me.

95% of which is thumping dance music.

Oh? There's not a bit of "dance" in Trance, for instance.

I hate that T. Rex bullshit.

Makes sense, since you don't like Bowie.

cate now & say that Buddy Holly & the Crickets were the originators
of the "rock band."

So you agree with Paul McCartney. I see...

No there isn't.  Where?  What part?

That whole heavy guitar driven thing. You may not want to give The Who credit for it, but they DID start it. Specifically the end where Plant is singing "Way down inside...woman, you need..." CRASH, BANG! That's a Who trademark, man!

 all.  That song is base & vulgar & lacks any subtlety or depth that a

A lot of Who songs are bass and vulgar. And you know it. Especially the early stuff. Which is what would have influenced Zep, since they began three years after The Who.

Those South Carolinians are warping your mind, Mark.

That could be. But this has nothing to do with it. I am probably the ONLY SC Who fan.

I said it sarcastically.

As did I.

I can't recall ever reading or hearing Jimmy Page say *anything* about

No, he's never cited any influences, has he? No, HE wouldn't. Listen to some Bartok sometime. You'll hear exact Page riffs, but has he said anything about it? Nah. What about Whole Lotta Love, really You Need Love, or "The Lemon Song" actually Killing Floor. And so on, and so forth. Page is an arrogant SOB who wouldn't admit he was influenced by Pete if it killed him.

And I know I'm not crazy because my friend Jeff, who *is* a big Who fan, can't

Maybe you're BOTH crazy! There's a definite Who thing going in The Jam, and Paul Weller would be the FIRST to admit it! And he wrote most of the songs.

They kept it up for a good ten years, buddy.  Better than Pearl Jam's two!

PJ's not over yet.

Oh, I might've heard one song....I really can't be bothered.  ;-)

Thereby we see how much weight your opinion of the new album should get.

You probably got detention a bunch of times, though.

No, not really. I figured out the system pretty quick.

 If The Who hadn't done it, some other band would have.

Prove it. I can prove The Who were first. You are just speculating that someone else might have done it. If Pete hadn't used feedback and The Who opened for The Beatles, John Lennon wouldn't have recorded I Feel Fine with its feedback opening four months later!

Maybe *that's* why I can't (or maybe refuse to) see Who similarities
in these other bands.

Refuse.

I'll give you that.  Maybe.  Pearl Jam?  What?  Three songs?

Every single song on Ten had just as much relevence TO ME as any Who song ever did. I've lived through it all, well OK except Jeremy.

Chaotic?  That band is as safe & gentle as kids playing in a sand box.

So is The Who, after Quad. Make a point.

Poor Myrtle Beach Boy.  I got up & went to work the other morning &
it was 8 degrees outside.

Yeah, you guys have facilities to handle this stuff. We don't. Nary a snow plow or salt truck within 300 miles.

Bring sanity back to Washington -
                       vote Kerry/Edwards in 2004

                                             Cheers             ML