Re: Virus

On Thu, 2002-12-05 at 03:53, The Who Mailing List Digest wrote:

> Date: Wed, 4 Dec 2002 21:55:36 +0100
> From: =?iso-8859-1?Q?=D8ystein_Odden?= <oeodde@online.no>
> Subject: Virus?
>
> Sometimes I get messages from this list with a cryptic topic line and no
> content. Are these some kind of virus-infected mails? If so, what virus is
> it? And is it a kind that makes a lot of damage?

It's infected with Klez, which will collect all the addresses from the
Windows address book, and it emails itself out to all of them.  It also
infects files on the machine and picks one to attach to outgoing mails.

> ------------------------------
>
> Date: Wed, 4 Dec 2002 22:16:48 +0100
> From: =?iso-8859-1?Q?=D8ystein_Odden?= <oeodde@online.no>
> Subject: Re: Virus
>
> The last one I got had two attachments. I just delete all suspicious e-mails
> of course, but I wondered if this virus spreads without downloading any
> attachments.

Yes it will if it is viewed with an unpatched version of Outlook
Express.  Klez exploits a security hole in Windows.  If the email is
viewed, that's enough to infect the machine.