Re: Who influenced Bowie influenced blah blah blah

What about Kraftwerk?

Scott:

They were the first Techno band. What about Focus?

fluence than Bowie.  And Roxy Music.  What about them, Mark?  ;-)

Have you heard early Roxy? Nah. They, too, were influenced by Bowie. But if you want to get technical about it, Bowie was mostly influenced by Marc Bolan (that's not Mark Volman but Marc Bolan) and T. Rex.

Bowie, Bowie, Bowie....that's all I hear.  Marcia, Marcia, Marcia.

"I'd rather stay here with all the madmen..." David Bowie

Gary Numan yet shun David Bowie).  And as far as the Stranglers go, I
kinda get a heavy Doors vibe from them.

Too strange for the Doors. Did I just write that?

>Maybe in your mind but not mine.  I don't hear Who in any of those low-
level, crap bands you mentioned.

I'm going to let you slide on that one. We get different things from different bands. I don't expect enlightenment from Steve Miller, for instance. But if I'm in a silly mood, I might grab the mike and sing "Abra abra cadabra/I wanna reach out and grab ya..."

  I hear more Zeppelin in that shit than
Who.  Zeppelin & Sabbath.

Both of whom were influenced by The Who. ESPECIALLY Zeppelin. It doesn't take a Cabala to figure that out!

A Who influence implies intelligence & higher art.  Rock reaching higher.

So was PJ, on their first album. The new one is pretty tasty, too. However The Who were also down to earth, gritty REAL Rock music. Which certainly applies to the bands I mentioned. I didn't say they were Who cover bands or the logical heir apparents. Just influenced by.

There's no "grunge" in Who.

Ever heard LAL?????

Grunge is just another form of dumb, reac-
tionary, crap metal music.  No Who.  Crap.

"New" Rock music ended with Quad. Since then everything's been a recycle of an earlier form. I mean, that's a given. We go into these discussions knowing this.

None of those bands you mentioned spoke of The Who as a major influence

So what? I can hear it. Page never did either, but hey only a Zep fan would deny it.

Yeppers.

What a damned coincidence!

Bring sanity back to Washington -
                       vote Kerry/Edwards in 2004