Re: Moving forward; Website; The bright elusive butterfly of buzzkill; Stoned

Maybe it's because they don't want to release anything from the past.

Dave:

Maybe I don't want to go to work today (actually tomorrow, now) but then I don't get any money. Maybe I don't want the economy to be so shitty but I can't do a thing about it because the election was circumvented. You can "maybe" anything, but the old stuff is what we want...and they know it, because by your take on their reasoning why did they remix all of their albums and rerelease them? Why release LAL twice? They know.

For instance do you play golf?

Nope. Softball, camping, whitewater rafting...things which challenge me physically.

So I checked it out.

Joe:

To my embarrassment, the pictures of MY store still aren't on there. Only my partner's store. Soon, I hope...it's David's project. And the red satin was NOT my idea...

Who is the great-looking babe in the blue tank?   Worth the visit
alone.

You mean "our knowledgable staff?" Some girl David got to pose. His wife is the other one. My store's shots will show my daughter with a hand full of CDs and (Saints preserve us!) one of me. You will see a familiar-looking guitar player (with no copyright infringement) on my sign, but even that's temporary as I'm about to get a new sign with a more dynamic pose.

Seriously, good luck.  I hope the DVD market and the higher
cost per unit gives you business a boost.

Thanks; my sales are coming back...my partner's are still pretty soft. Thus the focus on his store rather than mine.

for the Oakland Press and WCSX radio interviewed the Who manager. (no
name given)

Um...I wonder who it was. Jeff? Were you in Oakland last Friday?

Good point.  I want pleasure from the band.  You seem to want to
promote some elusive sort of historical status for the band.

Jeff:

Not "elusive." But yeah, that's pretty much it. I want for them what they deserve.

I really don't care who wins because I don't think music is a game.

I don't think Football is a game. So there! I merely want The Who to be recognized for what they've done and what they are, and to retain that special place where they don't fall prey to what every other old band does. Otherwise, I'd be on the Aerosmith list, if I felt the way you do. Just crank it out, man, fuck the quality.

Let me explain.  It is a buzzkill because part of the buzz is sharing
the buzz with a friend.

Yeah? You had LOTS of friends there. I was only one insignificant person. Surely one insignificant person couldn't kill the buzz of a Who party and a big Rock show! I wish I could have been there, but you shouldn't blame your bad feeling on me when it was circumstances beyond MY control!

I think you've exited the party.  And I mean that
in a psychic not a physical sense.  That blows.

The time must come when all good things come to an end. That's life. If this is the end, for me, so be it. I'm not going to continue if it doesn't feel right. Would you?

They are becoming a new creative unit and you are shutting
your mind to it

No, I'm shutting my mind to what's become a cover band. If and when they do something new, that will be different. My problem with this is: It's a haphazard quickfix. But if it makes you feel better, I ordered a copy of Detroit. I just hope it's not "Who's (Next To The) Last."

flipping through the dustbins of performances past for your
pleasure, lamenting the loss of what was and the injustice of what
should be.  That blows.

But it's not accurate. If a band sets a standard, it's not too much to expect them to live up to it. I don't mind a stumble here and there, but this seems WAY too much like a compromise to me. And as I say above, if I wanted compromises that sound familiar, I'd listen to Aerosmith.

Does it depend on the size of the band and which members died?

God, not another dick joke! Did you mean "size of the members?"

The Beach Boys, 20%
The Animals, 20%
The Temptations, 20%
The Who, 50%
America, 67%
Creedence Clearwater, 50%
The Pointer Sisters, 50%
Chicago, 58%
Herman's Hermits, 20%
Grand Funk Railroad, 67%

Cynthia:

But you don't consider ANY of these bands to be in the same league with The Who, do you? I don't. The POINTER SISTERS?

Thanks, Mark, nice to see that _someone_ realises where I'm
coming from when I offer an opinion, rather than to assume
it is an intentional insult.

AEB:

I understand because that's exactly where I come from too. Sometimes I pose things JUST to get discussion going. Controversy gets people excited and into it. I mean, ain't that what it's all about? No differing opinions means no discussion. "Oh The Who are great, aren't they?" Yeah, man!" "I love that song You Better You Bet." "Hey, me too!" "Cool!"

I'll have to buy at least these additional titles:

Well, let me just say right here that I got YaYa's (one of the three greatest live albums of all time, the others being LAL and Allman Brothers' Live At The Fillmore), Metamorphosis and Beggar's Banquet. YaYa's is the least improved, but still does sound noticably better. The other two, WOW! Definition, dimension, clarity, even a live-sounding rawness. I can't wait to get Satanic and Let It Bleed, and that doesn't count Through The Past Darkly (worth it if only for Dandelion). If they're as improved as these two, and I don't see how they wouldn't be. I know what I'll be buying for a while...

If you love music, check us out on the
                 web: www.secondgenerationscds.com

                             Cheers              ML