My Generation redux first impressions

First of all, there's no doubt the sound quality of this version of MG is above and beyond anything that's been released. You will hear things you've never heard, and the songs have a depth and dimension previously lacking. The bass is deep and the drums in particular sound good. The cymbals are a bit harsh at first take, but we ARE dealing with music recorded in 1965 in a studio which was considerably less than state of the art.

That being said, the mix is...interesting. It's not how I would have done it, and I can only speculate at what was on the three channels they had to work with...and in my fantasy of being the remix engineer, I have what I need to do what I want. I would have mixed it pretty much like their live shows...since MG is the most live sounding studio album they've ever made. Much like the tracks released on Who's and Two's Missing from these sessions. This is blatantly not how Talmy did it, but as I said it might have been all he could do. One thing that's a bit annoying is the guitar...besides being on the wrong side, it often exhibits a "electronically produced" stereo sound. Also in many songs most of the music is on the left, probably because the bass is alone in the right channel and it isn't as trebly as during the MG bass solos (unfortunately). I'm sure this mix was done to give the music a wide spatial feel, and by the end of the first disc I was getting used to it, so perhaps it will be OK after I get used to it.

Then, too, both MG and A Legal Matter stereo versions lack guitar overdubs...particularly missed on MG, but apparently it was unavoidable and the mono versions ARE included as well. I Can't Explain is in stereo just vocally, and it tends to weaken the impact IMHO. But the music sounds great and as I said before you hear lots of detail previously hidden.

Enough bad news. The CD is heads above all other MG releases.It's great to hear the longer versions of The Good's Gone and I Don't Mind, and it's very nice to get another version of one of my favorite of their early songs: Leaving Here (how fantastic would it be for them to do that one live on this tour?). But the real winner here is Daddy Rolling Stone. It is the best sounding song on this set. Instant Party Mix is also very interesting, as I'd heard the demo previously linked with Magic Bus. Hell, even that crappy song Bald Headed Woman sounds almost good (and is present in an extended version here).

As for the liner notes, I haven't had a chance to even skim them yet, so I can't comment.

So, yes, it's essential and you should get it. But don't throw away your mono version, if you have a copy from either the Brunswick or Virgin label LPs.

If you love music, check us out on the
                 web: www.secondgenerationscds.com

                             Cheers              ML