Re: Moving forward

In a message dated 8/26/02 4:49:46 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
bushchoked@yahoo.com writes:

> This Who ain't THE Who, no matter how good they may be. I would have rather
> seen something else emerge and be successful, which I believe is entirely
> possible as these guys are able (obviously).

Something else called what?  Townshend and Daltrey? That name or any other
name would mean "We are NOT The Who"  Which means to the casual listener that
we are NOT exciting, We are NOT loud, and all of our success is a bother to
us, therefore we choose for you to  never hear again what we do best.  They
may be good and able, but I doubt that they would be that successful.

 In all of the videos that I have seen and at all of the concerts that I have
attended by The Who, the main person that my eye is on is  usually Pete
Townshend. He is who I go to see, mainly. Of course, I immensely enjoy
hearing/seeing Roger (I took offense when AEB discounted his usefulness since
1976 a while back) John and Keith.  But to see Pete in "The Who" is totally
different than seeing him solo or otherwise. Roger as well.

At the show the other night Robert Plant opened with his band.  They were
VERY skilled musicians.  I didn't know who they were.  I knew Robert Plant
and  I was about 20 feet away from him when he walked on the stage like a
mouse. In the middle of the set he talked to the crowd about music from the
past and the urge that we have to hear it again.  The urge to hear Elvis. I
agree with this.  I did not like his new music.  That's just my taste and
opinion though.  I did like the band that he used to be in, -The one that
Rocked.  The crowd was sitting down for most of his set. I never want to see
Pete and/or Roger in this environment.

Then Elvis showed up.  As The Who (and I mean THE Who) took the stage, there
was an immediate feeling of AWE.  When Pete Townshend walked out he took my
breath away. Roger as well. I mean it. They stood so tall -  It was so
different than Robert Plant, like night and day. What an incredible stage
presence they have!  I new I was going to see windmills, jumps, furious
guitar attacks, the mike being whipped around and loud screams from way down
in the soul . The crowd rose to it's feet and never sat down. Never. What a
roar! They meant business and just started kicking our ass from the get go.
They gave to us what we came to see and gave it with all they had.  Full
Power.  They are not ashamed of their past like Robert Plant seems to be. Not
this time.

As long as they continue to entertain and amaze me, I will go and see them.
Of course you can choose not to do so.  There were 22,000 people giving back
to Pete and Roger that night and I saw in their eyes the overwhelming
gratitude.  I was happy to participate in their reaping of the harvest of
their incredible lives.

Jon in Mi.