Re: Moving forward

very extensive background in the Who. He has a problem with them continuing
without John out of principle

Mark's just refusing to move forward, though. This would be the same thing
as refusing to accept the band as The Who after Keith Moon died. Look how
much fun he would have missed if he'd quit being a fan in 1979.

Mc & Keets:

Now, see...you both have me wrong on this. I said, in my very first post-John note (I think), that I hoped Pete and Roger would go on. I am a "move on to the next thing" kind of guy, always have been, which is why I love Punk while most of my peers are Allman Brothers and Jimmy Buffett (yesh!) fans. No, my "problem" is The Who are THE BEST live Rock band in history and even in their "old age." And now, it seems, they're abandoning that by going out without being prepared. One of the reasons this is my favorite band before all others, and I listen to a LOT of music, is because they've always risen above and beyond what the rest do. Now, unfortunately, they are looking more and more like the Stones (career-wise) and that's a definite step down.

It's fine to have this viewpoint, but it's not okay to insist the band have
this viewpoint, too.

Who said anything like that????? Besides, I'm not just "sitting at home" but working my ass off to keep my daughter in college. I used to not have to (pre-2000 election), but things have become difficult of late. I can't just "go to a show," which sounds good on paper but would be a dumb thing for me to do right now.

Obviously it's not very productive for them, since
they seem to want to continue with playing music.

Oh, and is it productive to release lessor quality live performances? Or be "disjointed," which is not a flavor for chicken but could be the description of one before cooking.

I wouldn't discount this opinion. It's entirely valid. However, I would say
that an experienced reviewer could critique a show based on the general
performance, no matter who was in the band.

Nope; they all bring baggage or have an agenda. All of them.

The rules have changed.

Scott:

Yes, but you're assuming everyone will play by the new ones. Anything can be abused, and this country is SUPPOSED to be all about freedom and diversity. What's happening to "combat terror" has seriously threatened both. IOW, with what this administration has done furthered bin Laden's goal rather than stopped it. I find this most distasteful. It's like trusting a logging company to care for a national forest...WRONG! But that's the kind of thing he does.

Gotta admit, much as it squeezes the bollocks to say so,

AEB:

That's a nice image for a Monday morning....

If you love music, check us out on the
                 web: www.secondgenerationscds.com

                             Cheers              ML