Re: townshend and stills

>>Anyway what do you
>> whofans think of the 2 getting togeter as a duo and
>> recording and playing together?
>>
>It would be nice. Sort of Simon and Garfunkel except both members have talent. They could write and play some great mellow stuff, I'm sure.

Your opinion of Simon & Garfunkel aside, I don't need Pete & Roger to
record mellow stuff, great or otherwise. What mellow I need, I get from ample other sources. Mellow is not what attracted me to The Who nor kept me here for 30+ years.

I think this post was originally about Pete and Steven Stills, wasn't it?

Whatever, I like Pete's mellow stuff, but you're right that it's not The Who and it's been way too long since he did The Who kind of thing. We got a taste of it with the "Who Are You" remix a while back, but more is certainly warranted.

I wouldn't mind Roger doing a little more in the mellow line. This seems to be tough for Roger to carry off, but now and then he gets it right, as in PARTING SHOULD BE PAINLESS. I'm still hoping to see that one released on cd one of these days.

I wrote something on another list this week to the effect that RD = The Who, and I've been thinking about why. Now that we're right down to it, it really is Roger's voice and personality that translates Pete solo into The Who.

I'm reminded of Queen. Brian May still writes this wonderful, dramatic music, but he can't carry it off without Freddie Mercury--Brian doesn't have the voice to front his own music. Pete is more flexible; he can perform effective interpretations of his own music, but they have to be more mellow because he doesn't have the voice to turn them into the kind of anthem Roger can sing. Pete does amazingly well singing with The Who, but he can't carry the anthems like Roger can. He seems stressed to even try.

On the other hand, Roger needs a huge sound behind him to support the drama and urgency that are his best qualities. It's very difficult for Roger to sing quietly, and his performances could very seldom be described as relaxed. If he can't have The Who, Roger likes orchestras. :)

keets