Re: Gold records

In a message dated 8/15/02 11:49:34 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
pkeets@hotmail.com writes:

> Do you think it's just the greatest hits package that did it, though?  THE
> BBC SESSIONS didn't do as well.  Will a new album be received the same way?

I think that VH1 has alot to do with it. They have the exposure again now
that they did not have before these tours where Pete grabbed the crowd by the
throat.

For a new album to be successful, it is going to have to have something
pretty catchy.  They are going to have to hit a homerun somehow like they did
with the song Who are You.  It can't sound like a copy of someone else and it
can't sound like their old stuff warmed up.  It has to sound current and
relate to today's audience.  This is where their age hurts them, but they do
have the baby boomers to buy it still.  Will young people buy a new Who
album?  It will be difficult because there is so much noise out there that
they are used to.

They have three basic things going for them:

1). They have alot of media exposure of late.  Kids actually know who they
are now.  They are one of THE bands of all time and it is public knowledge.
Their catalogue is unmatched and timeless.  They have been in the news all
year and (sadly) a major part of it is from the passing of John Entwistle.

2).  They are without question the best live rock band of all time.  Age
means nothing here.  They have shut all the mouths even to the amazement of
many of us long time fans. Back in the early eighties I never thought that I
would see this day.

3).  They have a motivated Pete Townshend.  He is the X factor that no other
"Classic  Rock" (yuck) band has.  He has a feel for what needs to be done and
I have nothing more to say in this department because he is the one that can
actually create *new* music.  I just trust his abilities here.  I have no
reason not to.

Jon in Mi.