[no subject]

Fans hoof it to Linwood for Ox tribute

Places/by Robin Vaughan
Friday, August 2, 2002

At a barbecue earlier this month, two rockers formed
an instant bond when one declared, "I always hated The
Who!" The other vigorously agreed, his face suddenly
lighting up with the giddy liberation of speaking
heresy in public, and added that "My Generation" was
the worst song ever and, furthermore, the drumming of
hallowed Who casualty Keith Moon was just irritating.

If it's safe to loathe The Who these days, it's not
surprising the death of bassist John Entwistle seemed
to evoke little emotion beyond a certain fatalistic
acceptance, even from Who fans. Entwistle's own band
barely paused to mourn before setting off on tour
after he kicked the bucket in Vegas on the eve of the
first show. After all, Entwistle - who practically
defined the role of bassist as wallflower - never
soaked up much limelight.

But for the faithful, Entwistle's death was a loss to
be observed with respect. Former Paradise Front Room
booker Kristen Kenny, for one, was so devastated by
the news that her friend, Michelle Auerbach, who books
the Linwood, was moved to help her honor the departed
with last Saturday's Linwood show, "The Ox Has Left
the Building," a Who tribute show in Entwistle's
honor, to benefit the American Heart Association.

A musical triumph it isn't, but the same has been said
of the Who-minus-two reunion tour, and there's love in
the effort. Included in the lineup of bands and
one-off pickup outfits enlisted to contribute short
sets of Who covers are Rock Bottom mates Todd Spahr
and Chris Cote, improvising with a shifting rotation
of peers to kill some unexpected extra time when the
show runs way ahead of schedule.

"I feel guilty for not doing any Entwistle songs,"
Delta Clutch's Chris Cugini says ruefully, amid a
last-minute huddle before the all-star jam being
organized to pick up the slack. That bumpy set doesn't
include "Boris the Spider," but there's a good-natured
nod to the Ox when Spahr mikes the bass cab for
maximum blappiness in the "My Generation" breakdowns.

Offstage, the players share the opinion that Entwistle
was "one of the most underrated rock musicians of all
time," as Cugini puts it. "Entwistle basically played
rhythm guitar. There are only a few bass players like
that."

He pauses to see if he can name any. "Flea from the
(Red Hot) Chili Peppers, I guess...but he never had
the taste."

=====
-Brian in Atlanta
The Who This Month!