Re: pete in ICE

No, the complete blame for the failure of FD and IH can't be laid at Kenny's
feet - but, he didn't anything to help make them better. He provided no
spark, no energy which might have helped some of the songs. I find Kenny to
be boring drummer with the only exceptions being those first few concerts as
a group - but once he "settled in" he seemed to sit back and watch Pete. It's
a subtle difference, but The Who needs energy or at least something more than
keeping time like Simon did to really work. (And I know there are real
Simon-haters out there, but pls, let's not get into that.) Kenny didn't
provide either. Think about all the times you've heard some great Who songs
covered by bands with mediocre drummers - a lot of them just sit there,
waiting for that 'spark'.

A good example of this lack of energy is Kenny's playing on "Sparks" - that
song is pure cacophony and energy - and Kenny just barely keeps up. Which is
strange 'cause he IS a good drummer - just listen to some of the classic
Faces albums. The only song that Kenny is perfectly suited for is "Emminence
Front" - not a classic Who sound, but a "cool number", as Pete once described
it.

YBYB is a song that got better with a drummer pushing John and Pete to
another level. I do NOT like this song but Zak's playing on it has made it a
listenable song in concert. I'd love to hear him play "Cry If You Want",
"I've Known No War", "How Can You Do It Alone", "It's Hard" and "Another
Tricky Day". Those songs were better live than on the album and they would
ALL benefit from a high-energy drummer.

Just one man's opinion...

William