Re: big leaps (of imagination)

> >Actually, I do that quite regularly at basketball practices with no knee
>pads,

>This is about the most mind-numbing post I've ever read.
>So, how is it that you land on your knees again when you dive for a
>,.......what was it......oh YEAH a basketball..... HEAD FIRST???????
>*THAT's* quite a trick!!!!!! Man, I've been playing hoops for years, and
>diving for balls for years, and could never dive head first and land on my
>knees.

Not someone who sounds particularly athletic, I'll have to say.  You may
have a short career as a basketball player, Coach.  ;)

>Oh, and let me *fully* understand you're "logic"......
>You are "guaranteeing" that it is more damaging to the knee to *just* jump,
>than it is to jump, *and then* crash down on said knees with such force as
>to slide all the way across the stage.

I guess it would depend on how you're built and how coordinated your jump
is.  If you're heavy, you're going to hurt your knees getting off the
ground, and then again absorbing the weight as you come down.  Pete has
always been light for his height, with those huge muscles in his hips and
thighs, and also he throws his upper body into it first.  He always got way
up in the air and absorbs the landing without much strain on his knees at
all--there's been much more damage to his hands and wrists from the
windmills, I'd say.

The jump and slide takes a lot of coordination, as it means you have to
estimate the trajectory--it has to have more of a horizontal component than
vertical.  If you judge this nicely, then you come down like an airplane, in
the back end first, which saves the knees.  Also, I notice he leans back
when he's doing this, which takes additional weight off his knees.  It is
definitely a jaw-dropping move.

The stages don't look especially smooth to me.  The Who isn't a dance act
that's going to bring in their own floor and unroll it, so I'd say they work
mostly on a plywood deck.  (Ouch.  Where are my kneepads?)

keets