covers

Speaking of covers, how do songwriters arrange for that?  I recall
hearing that Pete made up some sampler cds and shipped them out when he
got the urge to license some of the music for movie soundtracks and
ads.  I gather that this must be a standard method of promoting music
for these uses.

It seems like offering them would be too commercial for rock 'n' roll
sensibilities, but how can a band or an artist get the songs out where
other or upcoming musicians can hear them?  Personal smoozing?  Media
exposure?  Playing them on tour?

Also, what's going on with The Who covers?  It's not the well-known
material that bands seem to be covering.  Of course bands like U2 or
the Wallflowers have the technical expertise to play the later material
and maybe some of the up-and-coming bands don't, but still it almost
seems like the folks doing these covers are poking round in the old
albums, looking for obscure (or maybe easier to play) stuff.  Is
"Circles" currently popular because of a certain surreal quality?

Referring back to earlier posts on this subject, it certainly will be a
shame if The Who ends up represented in the next century only by
"Squeeze Box" or "Circles."  I'd like to hear some covers of other
material, as well.  Ditto Roger and John's songs.

Opinions?

LB

=====
...you're dicing with the devil.  ;)