Re: Politically Incorrect

On Fri, 12 Apr 2002 00:14:43 -0700 (PDT), thewho rocks
<leb905@yahoo.com> wrote:

>>That is old news.
>
>It's up at the IMDB right now, so I gather that plans for cancellation
>are current.  It's kind of a freedom of the press issue, and anyone
>concerned about it might want to hit the other news shows and major
>newspapers with comments, as well.

I think it's more about them losing advertiser, especially since Maher
called the US Military a bunch of cowards.

As someone who used to work in news, I can tell you that PI isn't
news. And its possible cancellation has nothing to do with actual news
shows and newspapers.

It's not a "freedom of the press" issue, unless the government is
shutting it down or doing something to prevent him from saying on the
air what he wants.

>> That said, I still wouldn't mind if the show were cancelled.
>> Entertainers are not the people I look to for great political
>> discussion. I guess I just don't appreciate actors ranting and
>> making one-sided jokes about issues they know nothing about. At
>> the very least, the show is not "an excellent forum for
>> discussion" and is definitely not related in any way to ABC
>> News. It's a comedy show, period. Give me David Letterman and
>> Conan O'Brien any day.
>
>No, this is a real news show.

No, it's not a news show -- it's a talk show.

>I do think that Bill gets a little
>carried away with his own opinions sometimes and so interferes with the
>discussion, but still he's been very good to present issues related to
>the music business as well as other items of national interest.  Also,
>I agree that some of the guests are less than intelligent and aware of
>the issues.  But some of them are really sharp and politically aware,
>too.
>
>There seems to be a fairly equal balance of entertainers and
>politicians/activists on the show, but whatever, you can't say that
>actors and musicians are unpolitical.  Anyone with celebrity has the
>potential to influence issues, and some, like Ronald Reagan and Sonny
>Bono, have gone into politics in a serious way.  Also, wealthy actors
>and musicians are in a position to fight extremely expensive legal
>battles where ordinary citizens only get screwed over.
>
>We've gotten some interesting views from Roger both times that he's
>been on the show, and some *extremely* interesing views from some
>rappers and hip hop artists that I wouldn't have thought had so much
>economic savvy.  Because of the format, you often get honest
>opinions--something you don't always get from other news shows.

Interesting. What kinds of stuff has Roger come up with? 20+ years as
a fan, and I've never really heard him speak about that stuff.

Leslie

--
"Every one of the innocents who died on Sept. 11 was the most important person on earth to somebody.
Every death extinguished a world." -- President George W. Bush, 12/11/2001

www.hillary-watch.org