Re: rock operas

In a message dated 04/03/2002 12:54:58 AM Central Standard Time,
TheWho-Digest-Owner@igtc.com writes:

> .  I was going to argue that a "rock opera" has to begin with a "rock album"
> but wouldn't that exclude HAIR & JESUS CHRIST SUPERSTAR?  Those began
> life as musical/plays, correct?
>
> So what is a "rock opera?"  Is it any piece of music, play soundtrack or
> otherwise,
> that has a storyline & common themes?  And speaking of HAIR & JCS, which
> ver-
> sion is the "rock opera?" - the plays themselves, or the musical releases
> that accomp-
> any them?

IMO, a rock opera must first have music that most people would define as
rock, not the "broadway-ish" stuff that is pervasive in big-time musical
theatre (not that there's anything wrong with that) or actual classical music
and opera-style singing.  Second, it should have virtually no dialogue which
is not sung.  Isn't that what conventional opera is? Then I suppose rock
opera would have to follow the same.  Just a thought.

mc