rock opera

If TOMMY is the sui generis rock opera, then what's the next stepping stone
to where we are now?  I suspect that all of them are obscure until HAIR and
JESUS CHRIST SUPERSTAR.  It still seems uncommon for something to be billed
as a "rock opera."  Does that now mean that it's "harder" rock than the
usual LION KING fare?  And should LION KING be called "pop opera" instead?

keets