Re: World Peace & More

In a message dated 9/18/01 11:04:07 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
mleaman@sccoast.net writes:

<< As I said before, following leaders blindly is what caused this. Just
 because he's the Prez right now doesn't mean he's suddenly intelligent and
 doing good for the people. I'm behind the US but not Bush.

And what if, by chance, President Bush were to do something in 4 years that
you agreed with? Would we ever hear you admit it? Or do you just hate the man?

Intelligence is one thing, Wisdom is quite another. I think that it was
extremely wise of him to call for prayer that day. He personally invited Al
Gore to be there, which shows that he is bigger than any hatred that he may
have had. This really impressed me. There are many people in this country,
some intelligent and some not-so-intelligent, but he is president to them
all. It doesn't take a person of superior intellect to realize that this
gesture was to show clearly that this is the time to put aside our petty
differences, to come together as Americans to face a scary and unknown future
as one, and to admit that what man can do is limited. At the outset, to call
on the unlimited God Who created the heavens and the earth and Who appoints
and removes kings, and to admit that we need Him now-publicly- is the wisest
thing that he could have done.  This was no small thing.

>>>I can't see doing things for the majority (as opposed to the few elite) and
ensuring everyone has civil rights (the GOP was opposed to that, and still
is to a large degree) is selfish, but you have a right to your opinion.>>>

I agree with the liberal view on this. That is what I meant about the
balance. What I mean about selfishness in the liberals is the MY RIGHTS
attitude above what is good and decent for society.

It varies of course, but if one is honest with one's self, one will see it in
time. I am not so self assured, especially as I get older. I like what Pete
observed in "I don't even know Myself". His honesty is what brings me the
most hope from him. He wants to know, but will admit when he doesn't. (at
least in the songs).;)

By the way, because I mentioned God please don't put me in the boat with
Falwell or Pat Roberts. They are Pharasees. What they said made me angry. Not
only is God great, He is also small.  Small enough to eat.

Peace to you all on this list

Jon in MI