Re: World trade and more

Brian Cady writes:

<< Get outta the way you French! We've got superior firepower
 and we'll just bomb Hanoi back to the Stone Age! Hey, how'd we end up in the
 same quagmire as you? >>

First, the French have not won a war on their own since 1813 - and at least
then they had the Corsican immigrant to lead them.  From 1814 on they have
lost about all of them they were involved with on their own.

Secondly, in fact, the Linebacker B-52 bombing raids of Hanoi and Haiphong
DID bring the North Vietnamese back to the peace table - and in fact delayed
their eventual overrruning of the south by a couple years!  Why?  Because it
hit them where their supply choke points were.  You can be a VC all you want
(and actually they were out of the picture after Tet in 1968 - ruthlessly set
up by the NVA for that offensive to eliminate potential rivals) or an NVA all
you want - if you can't get ammo you're useless.  We hit their ammo supplies
(and others as well) with those bombings.  Had LBJ had the intelligence to do
that much earlier the war could have been different - but he was a terrible
war president who micro-managed that war (even picking bridges to bomb on
certain days - that is the job of your military).

Greg Biggs/CVC Collectables