Re: World Trade and more

> ingestion of paranoia inducing drugs and THAT is the flashback you're now

Bruce from Naples:

I have to tell you that's a really bad call. The US government has done
their share of dirty dealing, just like every other one. And if you don't
believe there's cooperation between the industrials and cooperations and
politicians, you're just kidding yourself.
And if you believe that crap about long-term effects of drug use, you're
also kidding yourself there too. Any damage which may be done (99% of the
time overstated) is done at the time.

>What's that old line the right always loves to quote? "A conservative is a
>liberal who got mugged?"

Brian:

Yeah, ha ha, but as some of my liberal friends on this list (and in real
life) will tell you, I'm not a liberal as such. I tend to be socially
liberal overall, and financially conservative (which is why Clinton was more
like what I want than any other President)...but above all, I am a realist.
And that means thinking long-term rather than the short (as I see the GOP
tends to do). If McCain had been elected President, I would have been
unhappy but not resentful. Bush stole the election even as he stole the
primary away from McCain. I cannot stomach the circumventing of democracy in
any form. Things are not always fair but such blantant disregard for what
the people wants sickens me.

But whether liberal or conservative, consider these facts (from George
Will's column in the Washington Post today:

"As an Islamic militant, Abdullah Azzam, declared to an American crowd in
1988: "After Afghanistan, nothing is impossible for us anymore. There are no
superpowers. . . . What matters is the willpower that springs from our
religious belief." Islamic groups in Italy and Denmark were linked to the
1993 World Trade Center bombing. Among the papers of El Sayyid Nosair,
charged with but not convicted of killing Rabbi Meir Kahane in New York in
1990, was this: "We have to thoroughly demoralize the enemies of God . . .
by means of destroying and blowing up the towers that constitute the pillars
of their civilization, such as . . . the high buildings of which they are so
proud.
"In his 1995 book, "Fighting Terrorism," Netanyahu forecast that Islamic
fundamentalists would be the "delivery systems" of increasingly lethal
terrorism. Tuesday they delivered to Manhattan two 198-ton bombs -- fully
fueled aircraft. When they get nuclear weapons, Netanyahu says, they will
use them. So U.S. policy must respond to a closing window of opportunity for
preemption."

And I don't think we can take any other course and survive. Because they
WILL get nuclear weapons and they won't have a Keets to advise against using
them.

> I was trying to make the point that Britain stood
> alone during the London Blitz that was all.

Dave:

The US has definitely made mistakes in the past. Entering WW II late was one
of them. The UK has been our most loyal ally in our history, and we do
appreciate it.

"God may have mercy on you, but we won't."
           Senator John McCain

               Cheers                 ML