The Dalai Lama

September 12, 2001

Your Excellency,

I am deeply shocked by the terrorist attacks that
took place involving four
apparently hijacked aircrafts and the immense
devastation these caused. It
is a terrible tragedy that so many innocent lives
have been lost and it
seems unbelievable that anyone would choose to
target the Wolrd Trade
Centre in New York and the Pentagon in Washington,
D.C. We are deeply
saddened. On behalf of the Tibetan people I would
like to convey our
deepest condolence and solidarity with the American
people during this
painful time. Our prayers go out to the many who
have lost their lives,
those who have been injured and the many more who
have been traumatized by
this senseless act of violence. I am attending a
special prayer for the
United States and its people at our main temple
today.
I am confident that the United States as a great and
powerful nation will
be able to overcome this present tragedy. The
American people have shown
their resilience, courage and determination when
faced with such difficult
and sad situations.

It may seem presumptous on my part, but I personally
believe we need to
think seriously whether a violent reaction is the
right thing to do and in
the greater interest of the nation and the people in
the long run.

I believe violence will only increase the cycle of
violence. But how do we
deal with hatred and anger which are often the root
causes of such
senseless violence? This is a very difficult
question, especially when it
concerns a nation and we have certain fixed
conceptions of how to deal with
such attacks. I am sure you will make the right
decision.

With my prayers and good wishes,

Yours sincerely,

The Dalai Lama